- to promote and protect the rights and interests of United Nations-system retirees in Austria;
- to support the principles and the purposes of the United Nations and its work;
- to provide a forum for the discussion of problems and represent its members’ interests before the appropriate United Nations bodies and Austrian authorities;
- to provide information and assistance to individual members and promote social contact among them.
The Association started informally with meetings of IAEA retirees chaired by the late Dr. Henry Seligman, gradually encompassing those of UNIDO and UNOV, and finally officialised as an Association in 1993.
Membership is open to all retirees from the Vienna-based United Nations organizations as well as to other UN-system retirees and their survivors resident in Austria and elsewhere as associate members. General meetings are held once a year in the Vienna International Centre (VIC). ARICSA also publishes a Newsletter, which is sent to members in good standing.
ARICSA maintains contacts with UN-system retiree associations in other countries, the largest being in France, Italy, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States. It is a member of the Federation of Associations of Former International Civil Servants (FAFICS).
A portion of each member’s annual dues goes towards paying the Association’s membership in FAFICS, which represents UN retirees in two major bodies: the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Board and its Standing Committee, further to which it enjoys consultative status with ECOSOC (Economic and Social Council) as a registered non-governmental organization and is an observer at sessions of the ICSC (International Civil Service Commission).
The Annual General Meeting, AGM is the principal organ of ARICSA and it determines the guiding principles, policies and programme of ARICSA, electing officers, and approving budgets. It meets each year in the autumn. See list of AGM reports and financial documents.
ARICSA has an Executive Committee (ExCom) consisting of:
- a president,
- two vice-presidents,
- an executive secretary,
- a treasurer
- and three ad hoc members elected for a two-year term.
The ExCom is elected at Annual General Meetings in odd-numbered years. The current ExCom, elected at the AGM 2017, will serve until the AGM 2019.
In its day-to-day activities ARICSA is supported by a Secretariat consisting of:
- Ms. Veronique Whalen, Office Administrator
- Ms. Veronika Scharff-Heckenast, Membership Coordinator
- Mr. Martin Reading, Newsletter Editor (as of Newsletter No. 81)
The statutes provide for an audit committee, an arbitration committee and polling officers as organs of the Association.
- maintains a Telephone Assistance Service (TAS) from 2 pm to 4 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and from 10:00 am to 12 noon on Wednesday in the ARICSA office (The office moved from Room A0401 to C0249B on 1 March 2016.) at the VIC (phone number: 01/2600-26116);
- facilitates participation in staff-operated clubs and recreational facilities;
- intervenes with local banks to ensure that pension payments are correctly credited;
- provides advice to members on residence permits and tax-related matters;
- organises cultural activities, excursions, luncheons, lectures and other events.